Sunday, August 29, 2010

Was Fred Astaire a tranny?

[Click to enlarge]


Post number 300 on Lolita's Classics deliver no less than a previously unknown photo of Fred Astaire in dress. RKO recently let go of this shocking portrait of the celebrated dancing actor.

According to a press conference held last week, Astaire himself prompted on posing in his favorite dress for a publicity still. The green and golden gown had previously belonged to his regular film partner Ginger Rogers, who obviously knew about Astaire's fascination for women's clothes and gave it to him as a birthday present.

The impressive rack was manually added to the photograph afterwards, also on request from the dance god himself.

Was Fred Astaire a transvestite, or was this photograph just a result of a crazy whim? We will probably never know, but you can read various theories and more about the subject here and here.

A site dedicated to fascinating secrets like these lies high on my recommendation list.

9 comments:

Matthew Coniam said...

Fantastic! I love it!
And great to have you back.

Lolita of the Classics said...

Matthew:
Yeah, I'm getting pretty good at this manipulation thing ;) Thanks, honey!

Elizabeth said...

Wow. That is a really scary picture! :D Great job with the Photoshopping!

Lolita of the Classics said...

Elizabeth:
Thanks! My friend who taught me Photoshop thanked me for giving him nightmares.

Courtney said...

I think my eyes are begging me for a way to rid that image from my mind. Or is it vice versa? Either way, the are arguing over the best method. ;)

Christopher said...

hell!..Who needs Ginger.

Andrew K. said...

Lolita!!!!!! What the hell? Take it away...take it away.

(But glad you're back. Sort of.)

A Albrecht said...

Yikes! Perhaps I'm too outspoken, but I find this photo of Fred Astaire smacks of Photoshop bravado. Fred Astaire had not a hint of scandal in his life despite numerous occasions to do so. He was known to be a really swell guy, shy, a perfectionist in his craft, leader in the fashion industry, the most un-egocentric actor in Hollywood, monogamous in his two marriages (he loved both wives dearly - both real love stories), and well-known to be very heterosexual despite of numerous homosexual propositions in his youth/adulthood. Please, stereotype the dancer. Retain the dignity of the deceased who can’t defend themselves and take this down. I’m sure you could do something far classier for both Mr. Astaire’s memory and yourself. Give it a go!

Unknown said...

Very disrespectful. Fred Astaire is a hero to many people. He is in a class by himself. There is no need to post something like this. I think you should take it down.

Robert Strom
The Astaire Society