Monday, March 9, 2009

How did it all begin?

I stole this Q&A from Nicole at Classic Hollywood Nerd, and thought it would be fun to answer the questions too!



Who was the first actor/actress that you were first interested in?

Amazingly just the same as Nicole - James Dean. I quickly bought his three movies (on VHS! How long ago...), and watched them 'til the tapes were almost worn out. East of Eden (1955) was my favourite. James Dean was however quickly followed by Cary Grant.
My first actress idol was Vivien Leigh, I believe. Of course I'd had pictures of Marilyn Monroe all over my walls for some time then, but it took a few years before I saw a movie with her in it.
Shortly after James Dean and Cary Grant my obsession for the Marx Brothers began, when A Night at the Opera (1935) and A Day at the Races (1937) was shown on Swedish television.


My first movie icons - James Dean and Vivien Leigh.


How old were you when you really began watching old movies?

I began in the seventh grade, when I was 13. I borrowed Casablanca (1942) and Gone With the Wind (1939) on VHS from my grandfather. I saw them both with my mother, who thought I would love them. Thank you mother! She was so right.


What was the first old movie that caught your interest?

Casablanca! I fell in love with Humphrey Bogart immediately.


Who is currently your favourite actor?

A hard one. I'm currently more fascinated by the strong women of old Hollywood, but let me think... Oh yes. George Sanders as Addison DeWitt in All About Eve (1950)!


Who is currently your favourite actress?

That is even harder! I have to name three: Gloria Swanson, Bette Davis and Mary Pickford. (The strong women of old Hollywood, as I said!)


My current favourite Hollywood women - Swanson, Davies and Pickford.


What is your favourite old movie and why?

I can't possibly name one. It's like choosing your favourite parent or sibling. But I'll name some of my all time favourites:
  • Duck Soup (1933) - because it's the most ultimate, sick, twisted, "Marxy" Marx Brothers film ever. It is perfect. And just a bit over an hour long - perfect length!
  • All About Eve (1950) - because of the perfect script by Joseph L. Mankievicz, the double entendres, the perfect casting of every little supporting role and the intensity of the drama.
  • Sunset Blvd (1950) - because it's one of the greatest film noirs in motion picture history, has an innovative plot and unexpected developments of the characters, roots in reality and, as in All About Eve, has perfect actors and cameos.
  • Gone With the Wind (1939) - because the film keeps the viewer interested and absorbed by the story for almost four hours, great acting and drama, and the developement from a charming costume film to a war melodrama, and then over to final tragedy. Perfectly done.


How many old movies do you own?

Hrrrm. Like... eeeh... roughly about 200-250 DVD's. I'm a collector! And a very sick girl.


If you could go back in time and visit any actor/actress, who would it be?

Gloria Swanson! She could teach me everything about the life of a woman. I think she made all the mistakes she could, and then learned from all of them. She would be my mentor.
And if I wanted to go back in time to meet an actor, I would probably choose Paul Newman in the 1950's or 1960's. And do very filthy stuff to him.


Give me that blue-eyed thing!


Who is one actor/actress that you want to know more about?

If I get interested in a person I always read about him/her. I'm manic, I always take the time. But if I would try to think of someone I don't know so much about... Maybe Rudolph Valentino. I don't know enough about him. Wikipedia, here I come!


What film could you watch over and over again?

Every time I get a cold or a fever I watch Gone With the Wind and feel sorry for myself, with a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and a warm blanket. I have no idea how many times I've seen that movie. And now I finally have the glorious 4-disc DVD-box! I sent for it from the USA to get the English version and not the Swedish one. I'm a nerd, I know.
Also, today I saw All About Eve for the fourth time. The last three times were during a period of less than two weeks. And I would have no problem watching it again!


What is your favourite Hitchcock film?

I guess Psycho (1960) or Rear Window (1954). And yes, Shadow of a Doubt (1943)! Joseph Cotten is irreproachable.


James Stewart and Grace Kelly in Rear Window (1954).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Every time I get a cold or a fever I watch Gone With the Wind and feel sorry for myself"

ah ah!

Lolita of the Classics said...

Manuel:
Don't we all do that? After all - you realize that your sickness is way worse than the Civil War!

Classic Maiden said...

Great idea and great post :)

My interest for old films started at 13 as well, and Paul Newman was one of my first favorites :)

Lolita of the Classics said...

Sebina:
Oh, great choice of actor! My first film I saw with Newman was when I was 14, I recorded a film from television, "The Young Philadelphians", and I immediately fell in love!