Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mr. Monotony with Judy Garland




I saw Easter Parade (1948) the other day. What a lovely film! Not as perfect as The Band Wagon (1953), but not really far from it. I love to see Fred Astaire playing grouchy and sometimes almost rude, as his character is every now and then in both movies mentioned. And I can't help but fall in love with Judy Garland, even though I know it's a cliché to love her. (I like Marilyn Monroe too! Ha!)

I found a cut out scene on the extra material. Usually that kind of extra material is quite boring (the reason why the scenes where cut out can be quite obvious), but I always watch them if it's from an old movie. It feels like taking a trip back in time - "This wasn't in the movie! It's magic!"

However, this scene was not boring. In fact, I can't understand why it was cut out - the film couldn't suffer too much of being two and a half minutes longer, could it? It is however a song and dance number with Judy Garland and a swinging song called "Mr. Monotony". I know I talk a lot about Cyd Charisse's legs, but there was nothing wrong with Garland's either!

I will only include the finished version of the song. There was a lot of re-takes that were fun to watch (isn't it awfully interesting to see the actors/actresses go in and out of character?), but if I would have included those it would have reached a time of 25 minutes. Just buy the DVD, and don't complain!


Here's Judy Garland with "Mr. Monotony"!



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Neat! It kind of reminds me of her Get Happy routine (I think that's from A Star is Born?)

Mykal Banta said...

Lolita: When Judy Garland walked onto a stage, she immediately owned the stage she walked on and all the people watching. Every movement, every gesture and expression, demanded attention.

When she was onstage, I think it was nearly a possession. She wasn't beautiful. She had skinny legs and was often drug soaked; none of it mattered. Once performing, everything burned away but Garland. Nothing was more beautiful than Garland moving onstage. It simply was not possible for her to make a wrong move once in front of the stage lights.

For my money, one of the greatest entertainers and song stylists that ever lived. -- Mykal

Lolita of the Classics said...

Kate Garbielle:
Yikes, another must-see-movie I haven't yet seen!

Mykal:
You put my feelings into words, Mykal! You're absolutely right, I can't say anything else than that find it such a delight to watch her sing and dance.

Christopher said...

Ann Miller really stands out in this one..

Lolita of the Classics said...

Christopher:
She's the spawn of the Devil! Really fun to see her play such a role ;)

Christopher said...

I was so stunned by her initial appearence in this film ,in her red gown,playing the un loved!!..I was so used to her legs and vim and vigor..'till this!

Millie said...

She is so amazing!

And it really is reminiscent of the Get Happy number (I think it's actually from Summer Stock, Kate)!

Lolita of the Classics said...

Christopher:
I was quite shocked too! She does it good, though!

Millie:
Seems like I have a lot of Judy Garland to catch up with ;)

NoirGirl said...

This is so like Get Happy! It's the same outfit and everything! (I remember because I totally love that outfit and even made a shirt like the one she has on.) ;)

Millie, as usual, is totally right. (It must be living in Washington, it makes it impossible for the residents to be wrong.) Get Happy is from Summer Stock. It's markedly different from all of Judy's other scenes in the film because she is really skinny (like she is here). Judy was a little more filled out for the majority of Summer Stock and sparked the thought that the Get Happy sequence was filmed long before the rest of the movie. The opposite is actually true - shooting for Summer Stock ended, Judy went on a starvation diet, lost tons of weight and then was called back to film Get Happy as an afterthought.

Anyway! Now that I've bored you with my JG trivia, thank you so much for sharing this with us! It's a great song! :D

Anonymous said...

lolitasclassics.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Unknown said...

Actually this song is from the movie Easter Parade in 1948. Summer Stock was made in 1950.